Wednesday, June 18, 2014

We Are What We Eat







When given a choice on meals I tend to lean toward that of a lacto-vegetarian. That means I include dairy (preferably raw), eggs and fish in my meals. My husband, on the other hand, is a carnivore.   It has been a 22 year personal conflict for me.  In the last year I have been aware of a lot of information floating the internet about animal treatment.  In this year of CHANGE,  watching my husband suffer through the results of his life choices, I am beginning to recognize this as an opportunity to re-assess my own  values.

 I admire anyone who can abstain from eating the flesh of another. Not everyone can. Some people's glandular chemistry prohibits this. They may try to honor the philosophy but find their health losing ground after a time. We live on a planet where every life force relies on another for its survival. Lions, water buffalo and alligators co-exist sharing the same watering holes...until supper time. Then the weakest or youngest is culled from the group; it maintains a natural balance. Animal waste becomes food for plants.




People who choose vegan as a more humane choice should read a book titled The Secret Life of Plants by Thompkins and Bird. It is filled with fascinating research showing the ability of plants to communicate with us, their reactions to violence  and even how they have mutated to meet 'request' from humans. It leaves the understanding that just because we don't stroke or hear plants doesn't mean they don't have a voice. Just because we don’t see red doesn’t mean they are not bleeding.
So, which species deserves to die and which to live? Which is more important than the other? In nature no species, plant or animal, is better.  Humans are the only species that the planet can survive without; it’s as though we are guest here. We are also the only animal that kills for pleasure or money. Our greed is the disruption to nature. This is one of the subjects looked at in my book- SHIFT: A 5th Dimensional Approach. All of these thoughts added to my husband’s preference are why I have tried to practice compassionate eating (and living).



Eating compassionately is eating when hungry- being thankful not only for the food but for the plants and animals that have given their lives so that we may live- asking a blessing on their spirits- not eating more than  needed nor wasting.
To me the inhumanity comes not from killing to live but from the treatment of animals- whether they are cows, calves, dogs or cats. The animal INDUSTRY of our developed nations is horrible. Visit the 'farms' and see how  animals are treated before they are packed into trucks, herded into lines where they stand watching the animal in front of them tortured, shot or electrocuted. You will refrain from eating meat. We call it meat instead of animal to de-sensitive ourselves.  We call it beef instead of cow, pork instead or pig and milk fed veal instead of 7 day old baby calf. The names and packaging frees us from feeling accountable.  We buy more.

As I witness the violence in our culture, the words “we are what we eat” take on new meaning. Words such as terrorized, abused, and beaten should never be in the same sentence with food we are consuming. Please know where your food comes from and how the animals are treated. Maybe the levels of violence existing in the world will reduce. All life should be honored. Taking one life to save another is a hard call but to me it should be the only reason to kill. Hopefully, all will learn to live gently and not support those who do not. 

  • Leave a comments and let me hear your thoughts. Share the article; others are thinking too. 
  • Follow me on Face Book:

  • Find out what else I'm writing:


  






No comments :